Re: WebRTC spec errata (regarding states)

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 8:33 AM, Adam Bergkvist <adam.bergkvist@ericsson.com
> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've pushed a few changes just now.
>
> Github spec:
> http://htmlpreview.github.com/**?https://github.com/fluffy/**
> webrtc-w3c/blob/master/webrtc.**html<http://htmlpreview.github.com/?https://github.com/fluffy/webrtc-w3c/blob/master/webrtc.html>
>
> Last change:
> https://github.com/fluffy/**webrtc-w3c/commit/**
> 04e58a875d1926e03b6faf389f5d55**8f2d82136a<https://github.com/fluffy/webrtc-w3c/commit/04e58a875d1926e03b6faf389f5d558f2d82136a>
>

> On 2013-03-11 15:39, Justin Uberti wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 5:10 AM, Adam Bergkvist
>> <adam.bergkvist@ericsson.com <mailto:adam.bergkvist@**ericsson.com<adam.bergkvist@ericsson.com>>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>     What's the result of a fatal error? Close the PeerConnection?
>>
>>     What should errorType be in this case,
>>     INCOMPATIBLE_SESSION___**DESCRIPTION?
>>

>> I think this would be the dreaded INTERNAL_ERROR; the PC is essentially
>> in an undefined state at this point, and the application should discard
>> it. The session description might have been fine, but we just exploded
>> when trying to apply it.
>>

> Ok. We need to specify how that would work. I guess this isn't the only
> way to end up in such a state. Do you have any suggestions for this text?

Something like:

The RTCSessionDescription is a valid description but cannot be applied at
the media layer.

This can happen, e.g., if there are insufficient resources to apply the
SDP. The user agent
MUST then attempt to roll back to the previous session description, if the
new description was
partially applied when the failure occurred.

If rollback was not necessary or was completed successfully, let errorType
be INCOMPATIBLE_SESSION_DESCRIPTION. The connection retains its previous
state.
If rollback was not possible, let errorType be INTERNAL_ERROR. The state of
the connection is now undefined, and the application should discard it and
clean up.

>  We could also have a INCOMPATIBLE_SESSION_**DESCRIPTION error that
>> indicates that there was some bad value in the SDP, but rollback was
>> possible and the state has returned to the previous state.
>>

> Ok. We just need to tweak the existing text a little to get this behaivor.
>

>      My point was that I didn't want to extend the description of the
>>     callback because it's the wrong place do document this kind of
>>     behavior. That was basically the motivation for the new text about
>>     how the ICE Agent talks to the script.
>>

>> OK - I'll wait for the updated version of the spec to see where you
>> chose to document it. I don't really mind as long as it's in there
>> somewhere.
>>

> I've updated the text about how the ICE Agent notifies the script and
> included the gathering state transition to "completed" as you suggested on
> github.

Looks good, thanks.