Re: [rtcweb] draft-ietf-rtcweb-rtp-usage: CSRC in the API?

(Limiting to webrtc, since this is an API issue)

On 02/27/2013 07:16 PM, Cullen Jennings (fluffy) wrote:
> I think this is very useful for a bunch of things in conferences. I'd like to see an API so the CSRC list for outgoing RTP can be set on a per track basis, and the API allows the JS to get the CSRC of most recently received RTP packets for a given PC-Track and also be nice to have a callback any time the received CSRC changes.

I'm sorry, I'm not paying this bill of goods. "A bunch of things" is not
a specification.

If you want CSRC, please describe:

- How you intend to bind CSRCs to entities that it makes sense to talk
about in an API (like "identities" - since they're mixed, thus not
carried to the tracks API, so there are no "tracks" to bind them to)
- How you intend to signal that binding information
- Why, given the existence of that signalling path, it's not simpler to
just pass the information about the identities currently being mixed
along that path.

I know that existing systems sometimes use CSRC to signal what's
currently being mixed, so there's an interoperation-with-legacy case -
but so far, that's the only use case I've seen, it does not give any use
case for setting the CSRCs, and even for that particular use case, I
want the rest of the picture before paying up.

               Harald