Teleco Integrators vs Web Developers vs Browser Implementers

I think points #2 and #3 in Gili's email are putting focus on the
completely incorrect problem. The problem is not about Teleco Integrators
vs Web Developers vs Browser Implementers. I think this distinction is
completely bogus and just a sign of a badly designed API. The problem we
are dealing here is that this API is designed using inappropriate concepts
and logic. It takes telecom concepts like offer/answer and SDP and tries to
hide them behind some "easy to use" interface. In reality all this does is
uses concepts that are artificial and unneeded. The functionality I need to
implement (as a developer or as teleco or as implementer) is to capture
audio or video and send it to the remote party. Or alternatively I want to
receive audio or video from remote party and play it out locally. Where is
offer and answer in this scenario? Where are session descriptions? The
things I would understand are local and remote addresses, encryption
settings, and media encoding formats. Each of this should be controlled by
me and not left to the browser to negotiate based on some opaque blob which
I am not supposed to look at. Since we do not express API in the expected
and understandable terms, we end up with a lot of problems such unneeded
complexity (state machine with queued asynchronous offers and answers),
inability to implement any scenarios except the basic ones provided in
examples (covered in draft-raymond-rtcweb-webrtc-js-obj-api-rationale-00)
 and complete inability to debug things if something breaks. Just think
about it, either everything would automagically work all the time, or every
time I need to debug something (once again I can be web developer or
implementer or integrator) I need to look at the SDP, interpret it, and see
what is being exchanged. From my point of view this is a complete failure
for all target audiences.
Roman Shpount

On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 5:35 AM, Adam Bergkvist <adam.bergkvist@ericsson.com