Re: SDP is not suitable for WebRTC

On 07/30/2013 11:16 AM, IƱaki Baz Castillo wrote:
> 2013/7/30 Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>:
>>> Sorry for the cross-posting but at this point I'm a bit lost and do
>>> not know which is the appropriate group for my concern.
>> For API issues, it's WebRTC.
>>
>> For SDP issues, it's MMUSIC.
>
> And for API issues that exist due to SDP nature/limitations?

WebRTC.

> Honestly, I don't think I should go to MMUSIC and tell that
> Plan-Unified is not good since the WebRTC API does not let me to
> generate a SDP offer with multiple m=audio lines with a=recvonly. They
> will reply me "that's is not an issue of SDP itself but an issue of
> the WebRTC API".
>
> Anyhow, my concern is about how to design WebRTC applications given
> the current SDP-blob based API and the SDP definition (Plan-Unified)
> itself.

Good. Then please, let's separate the discussion of that from the
discussion of whether or not we should have SDP in the API.

>>> So my concern is:
>>>

>>> - Web application with a SIP over WebSocket client running in the web.
>> Do you really mean SIP here (which means that you've already bought into
>> using SDP and only SDP for your session descriptions), or do you mean "a
>> signalling protocol"?
> It should not matter, but yes, I meant "SIP".
>

>> I'm assuming you means SIP below.
> OK
>

>>> - The web user is provided with a conference SIP URI in which there
>>> are *already* 8 participants (5 of them emitting audio and video and 3
>>> just emitting audio).
>>>
>>> - The user calls, from his webphone, to the given URI to join the conference.
>>>

>>> Let's imagine that the JS app knows the number of participant in the conference.
>>> Let's imagine my browser have mic and webcam.
>>>

>>> QUESTION:
>>>
>>> How can my browser join the conference without requiring SDP
>>> renegotiation from the server and, at the same time, being able to
>>> send audio/video and receive audio/video from others (different tracks
>>> / m=lines)?
>>>

>>> "SOLUTIONS":
>>>

>>> 1)
>>>
>>> I tell my browser to generate a SDP offer with:
>>>
>>>   - 1 send/receive m=audio line.
>>>   - 7 recvonly m=audio line.
>>>   - 1 send/only m=video line.
>>>   - 4 recvonly m=video line.
>>>
>>> (Obviously this is a joke)
>
>> Given your constraints above (SIP, previous knowledge of the number of
>> active participants), what's obvious about this being a joke?
> Please, let me know how to do that (without mangling the SDP).

One way is to suggest an API change where OfferToReceiveVideo is changed
from taking a boolean to taking an integer (or defining that it takes
either, where a boolean true is interpreted as integer 1).

> Anyhow, as I've said in other mail: why should my browser know (before
> calling) the
> number of participants in the conference?

You already said that it knows..... I can't answer the question that you
didn't ask.

> My browser should be able to tell the conference server:
>
> - These are my audio and video tracks (2 tracks).
>
> And the server should be able to accept the "call" and reply:
>
> - OK, and these are my multiple audio and video tracks (13 tracks).
>
> And that's all.But this is NOT possible with SDP due to SDP nature and
> limitations.

As I pointed out in scenario 4): Only if you're fixated on having a
single offer/answer and having the first offer come from the browser.
You have not given a rationale for either of those constraints.

>>> 2)
>>>
>>> SDP seems to allow that the offer and the answer have different number
>>> of m lines (I'm not aware of that but I believe that SDP can do
>>> "everything").
>> If you believe that, you'll have a hard time dealing with the real world.
>>
>> As far as I understand it:
>> - An answer always has the same number of M-lines as the offer
> Right. It was my fault (I wrongly understood a mail from Christer in MMUSIC).
>

>> - A renegotiating offer always has at least as many M-lines as the last
>> offer/answer
> Yes.
>

>>> 3)
>>>
>>> My browser generates a SDP offer with 1 m=audio line and 1 m=video
>>> line and the server too. And later the server sends re-INVITE with all
>>> the m lines.
>>>
>>> Oppss, SDP renegotiation...
>
>> And why is that a problem, exactly?
> Forcing renegotiation when there is no need for that in a well
> designed and modern media signaling protocol (i.e. any custom media
> signaling protocol a JS developer could create on top of a real JS
> Object based API for WebRTC).

Actually I suspect that the need for a (minimum) 3-way handshake is
fundamental to the problem you're posing, so double offer/answer is just
half a round-trip more expensive than the ideal case.

>> And you did not include the scenario I'd prefer if I was operating
>> within the limitations you mention (SIP over WebSockets):
>>
>> 4)
>>
>> The *server* generates an SDP offer with 8 m=audio lines and 4 m=video
>> lines.
>> One of each is sendrecv. The browser answers. End of story.
> No, I want to call to the conference SIP URI from my webphone
> application (and not the reverse).
>
> I hope WebRTC applications design is not so constrained by the current
> SDP blob based API, and I can design my own application in which I
> want that the client initiates the call, without that meaning that I
> need later SDP O/A re-negotiation.

Why?
You already said that it's your application, it's not interoperating
with anything existing. And the client already initiated the call (by
should also be the one making the SIP OFFER?

>> I don't know how people get so hung up on the entity joining the call
>> being the one to send the SDP offer; there's nothing in the protocol
>> requiring that, and just the loading of the Web page and opening of the
>> WS connection has already caused multiple round trips between the
>> browser and the server.
> If I want to do arbitrary round trips I will do them, but let me
> choose where and how. Don't mandate me to do that with SDP just
> because SDP or Plan-Unified is not suitable for the common scenario I
> show above.

Then you need to stop talking about using SIP. SIP constrains you much
more than SDP alone does.

>>> SDP is bad for WebRTC. SDP is good for legacy symmetric communications
>>> in which there is a single-track audio communication and, of course,
>>> both endpoints emit audio. But SDP is bad for modern RTC protocols in
>>> which an endpoint can emit tons of tracks to a single endpoint.
>>>

>>> Do we really want this for WebRTC 1.0 ?
>> I see many issues with the use of SDP.
>>
>> one of the requirements is "we have to be able to produce and consume SDP from the data available on the API"
> That's a very good argument in favour of SDP: "Based on a bad decision
> taken years ago, WebRTC must deal with SDP and thus we must deal with
> SDP now, and then it is good to have SDP since there is a requirement
> mandating it".

That's not what I said. Thanks for not llistening.