Re: Improve error message when browser denies access to getUserMedia()

On 25/07/2013 11:18 AM, Eric Rescorla wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 6:02 AM, cowwoc <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org
> <mailto:cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org>> wrote:
>
>     Alex and Martin,
>
>         I'd like to bring your attention to
>     https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=257104. This
>     issue was filed before initiating a discussion on the list.
>
>         It was the browser vendor who (rightfully so) suggested that
>     the WebRTC specification needs to be changed in order for them to
>     make the necessary changes in Chrome.
>

> Uh, it wasn't "the browser vendor", it was one person who works on
> Chromium
> and as I read his message, he doesn't say that they want to make the
> changes
> but merely that:
>
> "Expanding the NavigatorUserMediaErrorName enums probably merits
> discussion in
> W3C or WebRTC lists and is therefore not suitable for tracking in a
> single bug."
>
> Which seems rather more noncommittal.

     My point was that someone from a Chrome bug report told me that
this discussion belongs on the W3C list and someone from the W3C list
told me that this discussion belongs in a Chrome bug report.

     I think there is a misunderstanding of the issue. I am asking to
differentiate between:

  * Access denied by the user (whether directly or by way of a saved
    preference)
  * Access denied by the browser

     The former is recoverable. The latter is fatal (likely a
programming bug).

     I am *not* asking to differentiate between a user denying access
directly versus denying access by way of a saved preference.

Gili