Re: Cisco's position on the WebRTC API

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 11:07 PM, cowwoc <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org> wrote:

>      My understanding is that:
>
>    1. Telecoms need to be able to use an SDP transport layer.
>    2. We are keeping SDP in the existing API order to save time (release
>    1.0 as soon as possible, then review).
>
>     I brought this up because:
>
>    - We agreed that our goal is to generate Constraints for all major
>    use-cases so users wouldn't have to interact with SDP directly.
>    - For the remaining cases (experimental use-cases), we initially said
>    that users could manipulate SDP directly but then I brought up the
>    possibility of using experimental Constraints behind a flag instead. It was
>    my understanding that you agreed to investigate this possibility.

1. I don't speak for the WG, so what I agreed to investigate isn't relevant.
2. I don't think these are really mutually exclusive possibilities.

>     My assumption (am I wrong?) was that there were no remaining reasons
> for users to interact with SDP directly. If that's truly the case, you can
> continue using SDP under the hood but remove it from the public API at no
> additional cost to the WG.

I don't understand what "public API" means in this case. The decision the
WG made
was that the browser would do O/A and emit SDP to the JS. I don't see how
this discussion
affects that.

-Ekr