Re: On babies and bathwater (was Re: [rtcweb] Summary of Application Developers' opinions of the current WebRTC API and SDP as a control surface)

On 23/07/2013 11:54 PM, Cullen Jennings (fluffy) wrote:
> I will 100% assure you that this API is not going to have 100%
> agreement that everyone likes it when it is finished. So depending on
> what you mean by consensus who knows. Everyone is trying to figure out
> the important things we need to be able to do and make sure the API
> can do them. At the same time we are trying to sequence the discussion
> to get the big picture right, then peel the next layer of the notion
> and fix up more of details, then the finer edge cases. When we are in
> the process of sorting out fine details, it is frustrating to
> constantly have to re argue about the big architecture picture.

     That is understandable, which is why ... two months ago ... I asked
whether it would be possible to document the list of use-cases and the
justification for the API architecture/design by referencing specific
use-cases. When design decisions are scattered like butter across the
mailing list it inevitably leads to rehashing of old arguments. This is
part of what I meant when I asked for more transparency.

     This is just one approach. I would welcome other approaches so long
as they achieve the same goal. Just please don't tell me to wade through
10,000 messages in the mailing list archive (that is not a solution).

Gili