Re: muting/hold (was Re: Cisco's position on the WebRTC API)

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 12:35 PM, Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 7:22 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 12:09 PM, Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I think you're conflating a number of features here:
>> >
>> > 1. Stop sending media to the other side. This needs to be done with
>> > some API call on the media stream to mute it. In Firefox, at least
>> > you do this by setting .enabled to false. I'm not sure if there
>> > is WG consensus that this is the right plan. Regardless, no
>> > signaling is required.
>> >
>> > 2. Stop playing the media from the other side. This is just done
>> > by muting the element the MS is playing into.
>> >
>> > 3. Tell the other side to stop sending media (often called "hold").
>> > It's not clear how one would do that. Note that this also plays into
>> > the question of how one rejects an incoming MST offer.
>>
>> Good, let's get an API for each one of these! My particular focus was
>> on the last on, which needs SDP renegotation FAIK, but it seems at
>> least (1.) isn't specified either yet.
>

> Well, MSTs already have .enabled:
>
> http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/getusermedia.html#attributes-1
>
> "The MediaStreamTrack.enabled attribute, on getting, must return the last
> value to which it was set. On setting, it must be set to the new value, and
> then, if the MediaStreamTrack object is still associated with a track, must
> enable the track if the new value is true, and disable it otherwise."
>
> "Each track in a MediaStream object can be disabled, meaning that it is
> muted in the object's output. All tracks are initially enabled."
>

> So while I think the intention of .enabled is moderately clear, it could
> also probably stand to be more precise.

Ah ok, I didn't realise that. As I said: I was mostly focused on the
"hold" use case.

>> > I think this is more complicated than you suggest, as indicated above. I
>> > agree
>> > something is needed.
>>
>> Good!
>>
>> About (1.) - is there any intention to add .enabled to MediaStream?
>>
>> About (3.) How about a .hold() function on a PeerConnection with a
>> MediaStream as the parameter?
>

> An alternative would be to set the remote MST.enabled to false. This would
> have the advantage that one could imagine rejecting an MST by doing
> MST.stop().

If that works for the browsers (i.e. if the MediaStream object without
the PeerConnection give sufficient context to do the SDP
renegotiation), I'd be happy with this.

Silvia.