Re: Google's position on the WebRTC API

On 22/07/2013 11:00 PM, Justin Uberti wrote:
> With the compromise reached in the Unified Plan document, the group
> has resolved one of the biggest remaining controversies for WebRTC,
> and cleared the way for finishing up our current specs. Given the
> current implementation state, we think it's important to complete
> these docs within the next six months, reducing scope wherever
> possible to make this happen. We can then refocus on what's next.
>
> Like other implementers, we've recognized that WebRTC has evolved
> significantly since we started - the original goal of a very simple,
> interoperable API has been joined by a desire for more direct,
> low-level control. We see this as the impetus for a different
> approach, operating a level lower than the current API. Such an API
> would be a fresh start and address the concerns currently being
> discussed in this group, but should also allow the current API to be
> layered on top of it.
>
> While the idea of starting this new work is exciting, just figuring
> out what is in and out of scope will take a considerable amount of
> time. That's why we propose scoping down and completing the current
> work now, and then tackling our new challenge.
>
> Justin, for the Google WebRTC team

Hi Justin,

     The only suggestion I would throw in is to ensure that the API you
are publishing does not force inappropriate design constraints on the
low-level API that will follow. Off the top of my head, I'm guessing
that you can layer SDP on top of an API without it, but the same does
not hold true for Offer/Answer. Hopefully someone can suggest minor
changes to remove these constraints and still allow you to achieve the
same goals.

     On a side-note, I tried Googling "WebRTC Unified Plan".
Unfortunately, I could not find a reference to this document. Care to
share a link?

Gili