Re: Proposal: Different specifications for different target audiences

On 21/07/2013 9:32 PM, Eric Rescorla wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 6:26 PM, Roman Shpount <roman@telurix.com
> <mailto:roman@telurix.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 8:40 PM, Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com
>     <mailto:ekr@rtfm.com>> wrote:
>

>         Generally, we've talked about three kinds of APIs:
>
>         High-Level: Effectively SIP in the browser
>         Mid-Level: What we have now
>         Low-Level: Something in the vein of CU-RTC-Web
>
>         We've seen proposals for all of these and I think there was
>         rough consensus to do a mid-level API and in particular
>         JSEP (and incidentally not to do a low-level API). To my
>         knowledge, there has never been any kind of consensus
>         call not to do a Mid-Level API, and it would represent
>         a major shift in WG direction.
>

>     I would see API more of the continuum then exact division between
>     the three categories.
>

> Sure. I'm just trying to reserve use of "high level" for something
> rather far above
> the current API.

     Upon further reflection, I agree with Roman. The current API is not
a "mid-level" API so much as a confused design mixing components from
the low-level and high-level APIs. I agree with him that it is important
for us to deliver a consistent level of abstraction.

Gili