Re: Proposal: Different specifications for different target audiences

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 5:25 PM, cowwoc <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org> wrote:

>  On 21/07/2013 7:27 PM, Roman Shpount wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 7:20 PM, cowwoc <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org> wrote:
>

>>      I think we both agree that we need a low-level API needs to be
>> driven by the capabilities exposed by the signaling layer (not high-level
>> use-cases). I think we both agree that we need a high-level API needs to be
>> driven by typical Web Developer use-cases. So what are we disagreeing on
>> here?
>>

>  We do not know what those use cases are. At least not yet. So, let's
> give developers access to everything and they will develop easy to use
> libraries for the use cases they need.
>

>     So you're advocating that we only standardize a low-level API and
> leave it up to the community to publish competing high-level APIs? That's a
> valid option. I'd support this approach if you get community consensus that
> we're not going to standardize the high-level API.

I think it might be helpful if we agree on terminology here.

Generally, we've talked about three kinds of APIs:

High-Level: Effectively SIP in the browser
Mid-Level: What we have now
Low-Level: Something in the vein of CU-RTC-Web

We've seen proposals for all of these and I think there was
rough consensus to do a mid-level API and in particular
JSEP (and incidentally not to do a low-level API). To my
knowledge, there has never been any kind of consensus
call not to do a Mid-Level API, and it would represent
a major shift in WG direction.

-Ekr