Re: On babies and bathwater (was Re: [rtcweb] Summary of Application Developers' opinions of the current WebRTC API and SDP as a control surface)

On Jul 19, 2013, at 5:56 PM, Peter Thatcher <pthatcher@google.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 5:54 PM, Cullen Jennings <fluffy@iii.ca> wrote:
>
> On Jul 19, 2013, at 10:18 AM, Peter Thatcher <pthatcher@google.com> wrote:
>

> > It's interesting that most or your list of things that needed to be solved without SDP (simulcast, FEC, correlation of RTP streams with MediaStreamTracks, glare) still haven't been solved for WebRTC even with SDP, despite many months (years?) of effort.
> >

> Peter, with the exception of Simulcast, which of these do you think has not been solved in SDP when not using bundle?

I asked about SDP, not WebRTC. The thing that is making this take a long time is you don't want to use SDP.

> Has FEC been defined for WebRTC?
yes, that is defined for SDP O/A

> Has glare been solved?
yes

> Has mapping of RTP streams with MediaStreamTracks been resolved (with the exception of the "unity plan" which has not yet been approved)?
This is obviously trivial if not using bundle. Any version of MSID would work. It's only complicated by bundle

> I think the whole list I gave is still unsolved/unresolved.
I disagree. They are only unresolved because we want to add bundle and that was a major change to RTP resulting in a bunch of work needing to be done to see how that impacted SDP.