Re: On babies and bathwater (was Re: [rtcweb] Summary of Application Developers' opinions of the current WebRTC API and SDP as a control surface)

On 19 July 2013 15:05, Martin Steinmann <martin@ezuce.com> wrote:
> The aggressiveness of argument on this list is perplexing.

You are new here I see.  I don't find it perplexing, as much as I find
it disappointing and exhausting.

> In every
> collaborative effort you have to respect and build on what already exists.
> If you violate this basic rule, you loose legitimacy to participate.

I'm not sure that "build on existing" an axiom I've encountered
before.  It's certainly a social pressure (buy, don't build, etc...),
but it's not a rule.  If it were a rule, it would be a pretty major
impediment.

> If I
> remember correctly there was a vote on this subject some time ago and I
> don't think it is the chairs being inflexible.  All they are trying to do is
> prevent total chaos and I applaude them for that.  Keep up the good work.

There have been no votes [1] in the time that I have been part of this
working group.  If this were a democracy, I'd say something along the
lines that the chairs are subject to the will of the
people/participants, but it's a little more nuanced than that in this
case.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/policies#Votes