Re: [rtcweb] On babies and bathwater (was Re: Summary of Application Developers' opinions of the current WebRTC API and SDP as a control surface)

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 10:09 AM, Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> wrote:

> On 7/19/13 11:54, Martin Thomson wrote:
>
>> As it turns out, "does not need to be solved" doesn't go to 100%.
>> Some problems are deferred to applications.  Intentionally.  Because
>> a) they are better at that than we are, clearly, and b) they don't
>> necessarily want our crappy solutions.
>>
>> How long have we talked about BUNDLE?  How long do you think that it
>> would take someone with a functioning RTP library to build something
>> that multiplexes and demultiplexes RTP streams?
>>

> Are you proposing that Firefox come up with its own multiplexing mechanism
> for RTP; Chrome its own; Opera, yet a third; IE, a fourth; and Safari, a
> fifth?  And then we just kind of pray that five proprietary solutions
> developed in a vacuum miraculously work together? I mean, yeah, if we can
> rely on miracle interop for independently-developed proprietary solutions,
> I guess that works.

Again, you are conflating signalling and API surface.  We could define a
simple API that leaves the control up the application, and different
applications can signal different multiplexing techniques in different
ways.

> Or are you envisioning a WebRTC API that requires javascript applications
> to supply their own RTP stacks?

SDP != RTP.   It is possible to have an RTP stack without an SDP stack.
 You realize this, right?