Re: On babies and bathwater (was Re: [rtcweb] Summary of Application Developers' opinions of the current WebRTC API and SDP as a control surface)

On 19 July 2013 10:07, Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com> wrote:
> Even if you have the same javascript application downloaded, you will have
> disparate capabilities in the environments into which it is downloaded
> (browser/os/codecs/media sources/available network capacity).  Getting set
> intersection and preference order for those capabilities is something that
> applications actually want.  You may be able to move the pain of that
> around, but it isn't a waste of time.

There's a vast difference between "it needs to be done" and "we need
to define a standard for it".

I have nothing against providing tools that make it easier, but it's a
real leap of logic to conclude that the one and only mechanism for
interaction *requires* negotiation and that SDP O/A is *the*
negotiation method.