Re: JavaScript API on top of SDP

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Jim Barnett <Jim.Barnett@genesyslab.com>wrote:

>  I think that the group has always known/assumed that we would need to
> specify what SDP features are supported, what can be modified, etc.  Maybe
> I’ve missed something, but I haven’t heard anyone say that this wasn’t
> necessary.   It’s just that we haven’t gotten around to it yet.  ****

My first point is that SDP would need to be defined before any over-the-top
SDP API is proposed. Otherwise such API would the waste of effort, unless,
of cause, it is intended to replace SDP. My second point is, that defining
such replacement API might be a much smaller effort then defining all the
required details associated with SDP, since we would not need to waste time
on such "important" topics as the meaning of "t=" line or address in "c="
line in SDP in WebRTC context.

Bottom line, and my proposed compromise for the group, why would not we
take the current SDP feature set in the browsers, map the parts that
actually do something to the API and get rid of SDP? This would require a
fairly limited effort, and would get us to 1.0 specification the quickest.
This would also greatly reduce the number of external dependencies on the
spec. This is not ideal from my point of view since it will still keep the
offer/answer, but it least this would be something that implementations
would be able to use with some level predictability.
Roman Shpount