Re: [SPAM] RE: VS: Teleco Integrators vs Web Developers vs Browser Implementers

On 05/07/2013 5:55 PM, Eric Rescorla wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 2:16 PM, piranna@gmail.com
> <mailto:piranna@gmail.com> <piranna@gmail.com
> <mailto:piranna@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     > The primary application is voice and video at least in my book
>
>     I've always find this the most annoying point of WebRTC. Why so much
>     focus on audio & video relegating DataChannels to a second place
>     (almost a year to start having a specification and some
>     implementations!). Would it be easier and simpler to implement the
>
>     audio & video support directly over the DataChannels, maybe requiring
>     them to be not reliable?
>

> No, it would not be easier. More importantly, it wouldn't be compatible
> with existing devices, wihich is an important requirement.

     Let be honest. There are no existing devices that are compatible
with WebRTC, with or without SDP. At the very least, all these products
needs to be modified to understand WebRTC-specific key/value pairs. Most
likely they have to do a lot more than that.

     I understand that you want to minimize the amount of work needed to
inter-operate WebRTC with existing systems, but that's not the same
thing. If we have to modify existing devices anyway, we might as well
build an adapter outside those devices that will do the translation.
That way you can tap into millions of existing devices, as opposed to
only newer versions of those devices that will come out in the future.

Gili