Re: VS: Teleco Integrators vs Web Developers vs Browser Implementers

On Thu, 4 Jul 2013, I?aki Baz Castillo wrote:
> For your information: Jingle does NOTt use plain SDP but XML based SDP:
>
>  http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0167.html
>
> So Jingle CAN NOT be implemented in browser side (unless you are

It can, as noted over at the IETF (do we really need to have this
discussion on two lists?).

> capable of making a JS code that perfectly parses the SDP blob
> produced by the browser, converts it into multiple XML bodies, send
> them in-the-wire, and the remote does the reverse process, and no info
> is lost during those conversions).

Use a library. The jingle specs define such a mapping (however, not a
lossless one). That mapping currently doesn't do some features like BUNDLE,
but the specs can (and will be) updated to fill the gaps.

I'd also note that jingle might even define a SDP <content/>. However, the
xmpp standards foundation is dominated by XML lovers who would never let
that happen! :-)

[...]
> I'd really would like to know your opinion about WebRTC from the point
> of view of a pure Web developer, with no SIP/SDP knowledge, who wants
> to deploy a Web based RTC service without SIP interoperability at all.

In order to successfully deploy such a service that developer will need to
learn quite alot about things like codecs, RTP, packet loss, bandwidth
estimation, NAT, ICE, STUN, TURN, signalling protocols, conferencing
topologies? Should I also mention that this web developer might be
required to identify broken hardware in customer networks?

The "RTC Web Developer" requires quite a unique skillset. SDP is just the
tip of the iceberg.