Re: Proposal for error handling (programming vs runtime errors)

As I spell out in the document, the cases where you use an exception are
all cases where an IPC is not needed. Exceptions are really just for
sanity-checking the input, similar to how ASSERTs are typically used in C++
programs; they tell you you did something wrong, but you shouldn't try to
solve this by wrapping the method call in a try/catch block, since the
exception indicates that you're not using it properly.

Perhaps the terms 'programming' and 'runtime' aren't the best way of
expressing this, but I think the general rules of the road should be pretty
clear. Naturally, the part that really matters is the specifics for each
error; I did define the errors that I think we need and what causes them to
be generated. Let me know if I got any of these wrong, or missed something
important.