Re: Audio device selection

On 02/08/2013 08:53 PM, stephane.cazeaux@orange.com wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I am wondering if something is not missing in audio device selection
> for some communication case.

Well, first off, this is a media capture matter, so should go to
public-media-capture@w3.org....

> Regarding to audio device selection, the media capture scenario
> document
> (https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/dap/raw-file/tip/media-stream-capture/scenarios.html)
> talks of the case where the user selects between a microphone device
> plugged to the audio jack, or the microphone of a webcam. But there is
> another common case: the user has a microphone in the audio jack and a
> usb headset (speaker+microphone). To me, in this case:
>
> -When the user selects the microphone device in the audio jack, he
> will most likely want to hear the remote party in the speakers of the
> computer
>
> -When the user selects the USB headset device, he will most likely
> want to hear the remote party in the headset

"Most likely" isn't the same as "always".
I regularly use a headset with a broken microphone; in those cases, I
need to select the camera microphone (because that's the one that gives
the best sound).

I think it is better that the API present those as independent choices.

> But with some tests based on Chrome 24, the audio is always played
> through the OS default audio device, even if I select a usb headset as
> audio capture device (which is of course not the OS default device).
>
> AFAIK, this is explained by the fact that on one hand the media
> capture API enables the selection of the capture device only. On the
> other hand, audio HTML tag uses the default rendering device of the
> system. I could not find any document talking of audio rendering
> device selection.

Chrome 24 doesn't have input microphone selection yet.

Please don't judge the specification by the state of the implementation.