Re: Stats variables - some more input

I think this looks great - I'm working on implementing this for Firefox,
so I appreciate all the good info!

I have a few general comments on the webidl to start (sorry if this is
outside the scope of your post).

Our webidl guy (behind our webidl compiler), had two concerns with the
spec that he shared with me:

The first was the polymorphism implied in the RTCStats-derived
dictionaries returned. He thinks webidl wont work that way and that any
bindings generated (for c++ for instance) from this as written, will
only ever return timestamp, type and id this way, and none of the
derived fields. I think this can be circumvented using a union:

   typedef (RTCStats or
            RTCRTPStreamStats or
            RTCInboundRTPStreamStats or
            RTCOutboundRTPStreamStats or
            RTCMediaStreamTrackStats or
            MediaStream or
            RTCTransport or
            RTCIceComponentStats or
            RTCIceCandidatePairStats or
            RTCIceCandidate or
            RTCCodec) AnyRTCStats;

and have the API return AnyRTCStats.

The second point was that getters apparently have name collision issues,
and he was wondering if it would be better for our needs to return a
(read-only) "Map-like" object
http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/WebIDL/#MapClass like this:

   [MapClass(DOMString, AnyRTCStats)]
   interface RTCStatsReport {};

A third comment from someone else was that we could use interfaces here,
which would give us inheritance (to avoid the long and growing typedef
above), though that seems like overkill, to me, for data that's never
passed back to the browser, but I wanted to mention it.

---

I have no specific comment on the specific fields yet, except that the
naming seems to be inconsistent in a few places. For instance, I would
have expected "RTCMediaStreamStats" rather than "MediaStream" etc. Are
those short-hands or typos?

Thanks!

.: Jan-Ivar :.

.: Jan-Ivar :.