Re: Poll for preferred API alternative

From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 19:05:18 +0200
To: public-webrtc@w3.org
On 09/06/2012 06:30 PM, Hutton, Andrew wrote:
> Hi All,
> I think the discussion on SDP issues raises an important point as some
> people might be of the impression that the PeerConnectionAPI is almost
> complete but reality is that the SDP blob that comes out of it is not
> specified and it is likely that it will end up looking quite different
> to SDP that existing implementations are familiar with. We are
> therefore quite some way from a standard API that will be
> interoperable between different browsers and legacy implementations
> without a lot of tweaking and knowledge of SDP in the application.
I've heard this theory advanced.

I've not heard it advanced by the people who have written the
applications that interwork between the present, early WebRTC
implementations and existing, legacy SDP-using devices, such as sipml5.
What comes out of Chrome is SDP, and conforms to the SDP RFCs. (If not -
file bugs!)

I'd like this line of argument supported by "when I fire Chrome browser
SDP at <device>, it doesn't interwork because of <reason>". That's much
more actionable than "I think".