Blobs and MediaStreams (Re: getUserMedia API: How to use the LocalMediaStream object ?)

From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 11:03:19 +0100
To: Adam Bergkvist <adam.bergkvist@ericsson.com>
CC: Randell Jesup <randell-ietf@jesup.org>, "public-webrtc@w3.org" <public-webrtc@w3.org>
Changing the subject since we're wandering far afield....

On 03/06/2012 10:29 AM, Adam Bergkvist wrote:
> On 03/05/2012 05:32 PM, Randell Jesup wrote:
>
>> We already have talked about the idea of navigator.getUserMedia()
>> allowing the user to instead of giving a camera feed to replace it with
>> a still image or pre-recorded video; modifying blob in this fashion
>> would make that very easy to implement.
>
> Creating a MediaStream from a blob is interesting. We already have a
> MediaStream constructor that takes MediaStreamTrack objects. Perhaps
> the constructor could be overloaded to take a blob as well. Then we
> wouldn't have to change the Blob interface.
I'm scared of Blob/MediaStream equivalence; I think the Blob ->
MediaStream converter is the inverse of the (so far unspecified) Record
interface - it has the same requirement that some external knowledge
needs to be applied in order to figure out how to decode (or encode, for
the Recorder) the Blob.