Re: Keeping up data channel

On 06/13/2012 01:01 AM, Martin Thomson wrote:
> On 12 June 2012 13:15, Stefan Hakansson LK
> <stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com>  wrote:
>> I think we need to make developers close the PeerConnection when it is not
>> needed. A way to promote this would of course be to make PeerConnection set
>> up fast.
> Unfortunately, responsiveness is also a trait that is valued highly.
> Setup for data channels is currently prohibitively long.  Applications
> that are not specifically targeting mobile users will have abysmal
> performance on mobile networks initially.  Expect the radio to remain
> on constantly.
I'm really looking forward to having an implementation up so that I can
test what the setup time is for various media path RTTs and signalling
path RTTs.

How far down do you think we have to drive the setup time before you
would not call it "abysmal"?

(for reference: the responder's time from hitting "allow" in Chromium to
having a video on the screen with apprtc.appspot.com is subjectively
quite short - below 2 seconds - I can't measure it more accurately
without generating logs for it.)