Re: UI Problem - media types of incoming connection

On 2012-06-05 08:59, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
> On 06/04/2012 11:23 PM, Justin Uberti wrote:
>> Cullen and I discussed this and agreed the onaddstream handling
>> mentioned here (and I presume, the contents of
>> PeerConnection.remoteStreams) is the right solution.
>>
>> However, this does bring up a couple other questions:
>> - If the caller advertises multiple media streams/tracks in its offer,
>> but the callee only accepts some of them (accepting audio but not
>> video by setting the m= port to zero), does a callback at the callee
>> side get fired (after setLocalDescription(answer)) indicating those
>> remoteStreams have now gone away?
>> - Same thing, but from the caller side - how does the caller find out
>> that some of its streams/tracks were rejected (we have no callback for
>> this, currently), and do those localStreams go away?
> My opinion:
>
> At the API level, we should keep the concept that the sender dictates
> the content of LocalStreams, and RemoteStreams is strictly a mirror of
> what's in LocalStreams. Similarly for Tracks.

I agree.

> Thus, a track that's rejected at the SDP level should not disappear from
> the API; it should be present, but marked as muted at the sender's side.

We can't do anything with the stream on the sender side, since it may be
consumed elsewhere and adding it to a PeerConnection shouldn't affect
other stream consumers. However, we might need an error to tell the
sender that all the tracks couldn't be sent.

> If SDP later renegotiates the session to allow the relevant media type,
> it can be unmuted.

On the receiver side, i guess we have these options:
1. Fail the entire stream
2. Mark the failing tracks as ended (will never produce data)
  - Clear distinction between successfully negotiated tracks
    (muted -> live) and failing tracks (muted -> ended).
3. Keep the failing tracks muted.
  - Less clear distinction between successfully negotiated tracks
    (muted -> live) and failing track (stay muted), but tracks may
    be renegotiated.

/Adam