From: Cullen Jennings [mailto:fluffy@cisco.com]
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2012 12:21 PM
To: public-webrtc@w3.org
Subject: UI Problem - media types of incoming connection

Say that Alice has sent an Offer to Bob. This offer perhaps has an audio
/ video / and data stream. The JS running on Bob's browser would like to
know if this offer includes video and/or audio so that it can render an
appropriate UI. Bob might want to know if the ALice is offering video or
not before Bob decides to provide a video stream or not back to Alice.

One option is to have the JS look at the SDP. I think we all agree this
sounds pretty gross. I'd like to propose that we add something to the
API that can take an offer and return the number of tracks of audio,
video, and data in the offer. I'm thinking something roughly like a
getCharacteristics method that takes a SessionDescription and returns a
dictionary with keys "numberAudioStreams", "numberVideoStreams",
"numberDataStreams"

Thoughts? Sound reasonable to add something like this?