Re: IceServer / IceServers

On 2012-06-22 17:58, Cullen Jennings (fluffy) wrote:

> On Jun 12, 2012, at 1:31 , Harald Alvestrand wrote:
>
>> On 06/11/2012 12:23 PM, Cullen Jennings wrote:
>>> This is related to Anant's proposal but my summary of what I
>>> thought I heard was:
>>>
>>> IceServers becomes an array of IceServer objects.
>>>
>>> The IceServer object has an URI attribute and a nullable password
>>> attribute and we will figure out what realm is and where it
>>> goes.
>> I think I heard Anant or Dom suggesting that it should be an URI +
>> an Origin (an Origin has fields for a domain and an
>> username/password). But that's purely for syntax reuse; we've got
>> to put something in there that contains the info ICE needs in order
>> to authenticate successfully both for STUN (short-term credentials,
>> if any) and TURN (long-term credentials).
>
> Can someone educate me about Origins? I understand the idea of same
> origin from security point of view but not seeing how it applies
> here.

One reason to use the origin in such a case is to provide information
that cannot be set by the application. For example, if all
authentication information can be set by the application, then I can
simply copy it from another web service and pretend to be that service
towards other boxes in the network.

/Adam