Re: Data API Proposal aligned to WebSocket

Hi

Added a third example that uses the DataChannelInit dictionary to
configure a DataChannel.

On 02/22/2012 05:32 PM, Adam Bergkvist wrote:
> Hi
>
> I got a task from the WebRTC chairs and editors to work some more with
> the Data API, taking Justins proposal as a starting point, meet what
> most people seem to want
> (http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webrtc/2012Feb/0153.html)
> from the API and align with the Web Socket API as far as possible.
> Comments and feedback are greatly appreciated.
>
> A DataChannel object is bi-directional data channel that is decoupled
> from the MediaStream concept. I.e., there are no local or remote
> DataChannels since data can be written to, and read from the same
> object. When a DataChannel is created at one end of a PeerConnection, an
> event, with the corresponding DataChannel, is dispatched on the other
> end. There's no need to remove a DataChannel object from it's associated
> PeerConnection; the close() method disposes the channel similar to
> WebSocket. The DataChanelInit dictionary is used to configure a
> DataChannel at creation time; it will be extended as we expose more
> configuration possibilities.
>
> Some examples:
>
> // Simple example how to create a DataChannel, send and receive data.
>
> var chan = peerConn.createDataChannel("mylabel");
>
> chan.onmessage = function (evt) {
>       // use evt.data
> };
>
> chan.send("hello");
>
> -----
>
> // Example of to handle the case when a remote peer creates a DataChannel
>
> peerConn.ondatachannel = function (evt) {
>       var chan = evt.channel;
>
>       chan.onmessage = function (evt) {
>           // use evt.data
>       };
>
>       chan.onclose = function () {
>           // remote side closed the data channel
>       };
> };
>
> ----

// Example of creating two DataChannel objects with different
// properties (by using the init dictionary)

// we want the chat channel to be reliable and not as prioritized as
// game data
var chatChan = peerConn.createDataChannel("chat", { "priority": 1 });

// unreliable high performance channel for game data
var gameDataChan = peerConn.createDataChannel("data", { "reliable":
false, "priority": 10 });