Unidirectional vs bidriectional (Re: Data API: what is agreed, what is open)

On 02/10/2012 03:57 PM, Cullen Jennings wrote:
>> >  Open
>> >  ====
>> >  * Should the API be uni- or bi-directional?
> I will argue very strongly for bi-directional. It makes is much easier to to protocol where you send a request and expect a response to that request. It's what programmer expect. There pretty much no reason not to.

Just to make this clear if it was not:

When I say "unidirectional", I mean that each channel is unidirectional:
You send on a channel, you receive on a channel. Just because you need N
channels for sending doesn't mean that you need to have N channels for
receiving.
The overall SCTP association is definitely bidirectional.

I suspect there's a class of apps out there where it will feel natural
to open up 10 incoming channels and 1 outgoing channel (or vice versa),
each of which uses resources in our SCTP control blocks. I don't see a
reason why the API should force us to instantiate the 9 SCTP channels we
won't use.

(not that the cost is high. I won't cry if we decide to do bidirectional
only).

                     Harald