Re: Use of .iceState and .sdpState

Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> That question may become irrelevant if we adapt a JSEP-based proposal,
> but I'm curious as to why the current PeerConnection interface exposes
> iceState and sdpState — it's not obvious to me what use cases makes it
> useful for the application to know state of the SDP and ICE agents to
> that level (in the current approach).

The primary use I see is helping the webapp developer debug their
application (i.e., "It got this far before it broke" or "It took X ms to
complete ICE negotiation"). I agree with Adam that it's not the greatest
API for that. We could rely on console error messages instead (which I
don't think need to be standardized, but would be harder to access
programmatically, e.g., to collect statistics in a live, deployed
system), or add a real error reporting mechanism (which is probably a
bit of work, though worthwhile).