Re: Poll for preferred API alternative

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 15:47:38 -0700
To: Stefan Hakansson LK <stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com>, public-webrtc@w3.org
First, I need to confirm that this encompasses several of the issues
that we raised.  Namely:
a. Use of SDP
b. Use of Offer/Answer as defined in RFC 3264 or otherwise.
c. Architectural and structural concerns

It's not clear that these are as inseparable as you claim.  For
example, Justin and I have explored removing SDP as an independent
option.  Though if you were to fix architectural problems, it is a
likely outcome that the other changes would be necessary.

Though I see other alternatives, from the options provided my
preference is for 2.

It seems clear that there are enough remaining items missing from
PeerConnection that the effort to address those gaps is going to be
progressively more difficult.

All the guidance in software engineering suggests that refactoring is
often necessary.  Reluctance to do so has serious consequences on your
ability to add future features.  We're already seeing these problems.

The term of art is "technical debt".  In addition to amassing a small
fortune of our own in a relatively short interval, we've also
inherited the years of accumulated SDP technical debt.

--Martin