Re: First agenda proposal webrtc telco

On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Harald Alvestrand
<harald@alvestrand.no> wrote:
> Maire,
>
> my view of the MS situation is that there may be 3 completely different
> situations in the group:
>
> - There's really no desire among other members to pick this up (and a strong
> desire not to)
> - There's a really strong desire among other members to pick this up
> - There's enough doubt about it that we need to discuss further how to
> dispose of it
>
> Until we actually talk about it, we do not know where we are; if we're
> already in one of the 2 first states, we don't have to discuss any more
> whether or not we pick this up; if we're in the 3rd state, I think you're
> right - we need a whole meeting to discuss it. But until we have that
> conversation, we haven't had that conversation.
>
> I think 25 mins is enough to figure out something of where we are among the
> 3 states above (one subset of the first one is that there's a desire to pick
> some of the features of the proposal up for integration a little bit down
> the road, but keep the first steps on the road unchanged - I think that's
> what Justin's discussing with Martin just now).

Harald,

I can certainly understand the urge to avoid a lot of discussion of the
MS proposal if people aren't interested in it, but from there my analysis
diverges from yours.

People have had ample time to read the proposal and form initial
opinions. If we're to spend meeting time on it, then that time needs
to be sufficient for people to learn something new, either from
Martin's presentation or from the following discussion. As someone
who spent quite a lot of time reading through and analyzing the
proposal, I don't think it's very likely that 15 minutes of
presentation is going to teach WG members more than they
already know, I and I don't think it's at all plausible that 10 minutes
of discussion will do so. If the purpose of this slot is just to determine
whether people want to allocate real discussion time to the MS
proposal in future you might as well just take a straw poll on the list
right now and reclaim the 25 minutes Tuesday.

-Ekr