Re: [rtcweb] Microsoft tells W3C and IETF what we are doing no signs of offering real world interoperability

From: Anant Narayanan <anant@mozilla.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2012 17:43:02 -0700
To: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
On 8/7/12 2:57 AM, Tim Panton wrote:
> Ok, the timing is unfortunate, but can you honestly say that we didn't know that this was skype/microsofts opinion? We just chose to ignore it because it was inconvenient.
>
> Now that it is out there, are we seriously going to ignore a document with _those_ authors from a major browser maker and a team with extensive experience in the field jus because it is late!?!?

I absolutely don't want to discount the extensive collective experience
and knowledge of how RTC works that went behind the document - but I
have a hard time treating this proposal as coming from a major browser
vendor. A proposal from the team behind Skype or Lync is different from
a proposal that comes from the IE team.

In particular, I strongly disagree with the statement that the existing
proposal does not honor "key web tenets". As ekr wrote in his analysis,
the web has moved away from a completely stateless model for a while
now. In fact, PeerConnection is already more low-level than I would have
preferred, especially when compared to the original proposal from Ian
Hickson.

I don't fully grasp how the significantly more complex Javascript API
proposed in the document is actually beneficial to the modern web as a
whole.

-Anant