Re: Data API symmetry

From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 17:21:30 +0200
To: public-webrtc@w3.org
This line from case B #2 made me have an opinion.

On 04/25/2012 04:04 PM, Adam Bergkvist wrote:

>     viaWebServer.send("setup extra channel");

I am not happy with interfaces that necessitate going through the server
to set up channels.

So I think I like the "ondatachannel" approach better.

I *think* this can be written differently, to emphasize the symmetry a
little bit more, in the case where both sides get an "open" event:

Case A #1:

peerConn.onopen = function () {
     if (caller) {
         chatDataChan = peerConn.createDataChannel("chat", chatSettings);
         chatDataChan.onopen = startChat;
         chatDataChan.onmessage = showChatMessage;

         extraDataChan = peerConn.createDataChannel("extra",
extraSettings);
         extraDataChan.onopen = startExtra;
         extraDataChan.onmessage = onExtraMessage;
     }

     peerConn.ondatachannel = function (evt) {

         var chan = evt.channel;
         if (chan.label == "chat") {
             chatDataChan = chan;
             chatDataChan.onopen = startChat;
             chatDataChan.onmessage = showChatMessage;
         }
         else {
             extraDataChan = chan;
             extraDataChan.onopen = startExtra;
             extraDataChan.onmessage = onExtraMessage;
         }
     };
};

          Harald