Re: Proposal for API for Data

From: Timothy B. Terriberry <tterriberry@mozilla.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 02:22:12 -0700
CC: public-webrtc@w3.org
Michael Tuexen wrote:
> If a channel is not in OPEN, I would expect a send() call to fail. However, its return type
> is void. Why? Or is it intended that the onerror callback is invoked?

See this exchange from the whatwg list:
http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2010-April/025942.html
http://lists.whatwg.org/pipermail/whatwg-whatwg.org/2010-August/027673.html

As far as I can tell, the onerror callback is only invoked if the UA is
required to "fail the connection" or "close the connection with
prejudice" (see the last algorithm in this section:
http://dev.w3.org/html5/websockets/#feedback-from-the-protocol), not
when sending a message to an already-closed connection.