From: public-webrtc-request@w3.org [mailto:public-webrtc-request@w3.org]
On Behalf Of Cullen Jennings (fluffy)
Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 11:33 AM
To: public-webrtc@w3.org
Subject: Selecting Cameras, Microphones, Speakers, and such

I'm going to send a few emails to get the conversation going on topics
where I thought people were in general agreement at the last
meeting.These are based off the slides I presented at the past W3C face
to face meeting in Quebec.

Computers often have multiple cameras, sets of microphones, and
speakers. For example, a mac with two apple monitors will have a  camera
in each monitor as well as microphones in each monitor. In addition
there could be a USB headset with microphones and speakers. A common way
to use something like Skype is to play "Ringing" type alert sounds on
the speaker while sending the spoken voice audio to a headset.

I am proposing that we allow provide an API where the JS application can
find out which devices euro available, then set preferences of which one
should be used. For simple applications that don't use the API, the
browser would select a reasonable set of defaults based on browser and
OS preferences.

It seemed many people thought this sounded reasonable at the last
meeting and if that is the case, I'll work with the other editors to put
something in the API draft to allow this. If people have ideas on what
an API for this might look like, love to get some ideas.

Thanks, Cullen

PS - And I apologize in advance I am going to be offline for the next 7
days... Going hiking or climbing.. in the snow.