API options for supporting fork with ROAP (Re: [rtcweb] SDP Offer/Answer draft-jennings-rtcweb-signaling)

On 10/18/2011 02:58 AM, Roman Shpount wrote:
> Cullen,
>
> Did we decide to explicitly not support forking which generates
> multiple final answers? If this is not the case, how is this supposed
> to be implemented using your model?

I and some people from Ericsson had a discussion about forking the other
day (the ability to send out one request and have it generate multiple
PeerConnections on the response).

Options include:

- Sending a request with no content for which state must be kept,
creating new PeerConnection objects on answer that can handle an answer
without generating an offer first, and then renegotiating stuff that
needs state subsequently
- Creating a new "PeerConnectionFactoryWithOffer" object that holds the
state of the request, but has the ability to mint several
PeerConnections on responses
- Throwing away the initial PeerConnection, munge the incoming Answer to
look like an Offer, create a PeerConnection from it, and throw away the
resulting Answer
- Create the ability to create a PeerConnection from an Offer + an
Answer, together with the ability to create an Offer without creating a
PeerConnection (this is a variant of the Factory method)
- Do something different.....

Of course there's always the option of not supporting forking, leading
it to be a problem that only concerns those who write gateways into
systems where it is required; SIP systems that don't support forking are
in the same boat.

It's not impossible, but it does have an overhead cost.