Re: Low Level Javascript API Proposal

On 2011-10-05 14:43, Neil Stratford wrote:
> Enabling direct codec control and feedback from JS also opens up a whole
> world of interesting possibilities: callbacks from the video codec with
> motion information for security applications, callbacks from the audio
> codec with silence detection.
I think you can already do motion detection (or at least detect changes)
by putting the video on a canvas element and analyze it. This can even
be done locally, no codec involved.

In the latest version of the use case and req document (posted
yesterday) I put a requirement on being able to detect audio levels of
streams - then you can detect silence.

(In role of contributor): I think this should be the way to do it - put
requirements on the tools (audio/video/media/canvas elements,
MediaStream, ...) available to the web developer at large rather than
exposing codec specific info. Codecs come and go, but I would not like
my application to break.

Just my 5 cents.

Stefan