Re: Low Level Javascript API Proposal

On 9/28/2011 9:46 AM, Neil Stratford wrote:

> That would certainly be the intention. The idea is really to split
> codec and ICE negotiation apart, but retain the ability to combine in
> javascript to provide a PeerConnection style SDP based API if required.

This part is key, and I've brought it up in the past. The
"PeerConnection" has a legitimate need to participate in the ICE
negotiation, and so if ICE candidates are encoded as SDP rather than
JSON it makes sense for it to generate and consume that SDP... but it is
NOT appropriate for the PeerConnection to also be generating and
consuming an SDP offer-answer for codec negotation. The codecs should be
different objects than the PeerConnection, usable for other things (like
local processing, recording, playback from file, etc.) and so it just
doesn't make sense for the PeerConnection to be changing their settings
at any time. (Or worse, for the PeerConnection's SDP processing to be
the *only* way of changing their settings.)

Matthew Kaufman