Re: Where to attach a DTMF API

On 11/29/2011 5:23 AM, Timothy B. Terriberry wrote:
>>> How should we handle these cases? Can we create a null audio track using
>>> the current API?
>> How would you do it for a legacy client? My understanding was that
>> RFC4733 required and existing (audio) RTP stream (identified by SSRC) to
>> insert its DTMF payloads into.
>
> I think the question is simply whether or not we can create such an RTP
> stream without acquiring a MediaStream via getUserMedia(). roc's
> MediaStream Processing API certainly provides a way to do this. Chris
> Rogers' Web Audio API doesn't seem to provide MediaStream objects that I
> can tell, but I assume that's something that could be fixed.

This is a case where we want to create a one-way-connection, or maybe
one where the user doesn't want to give mic access (but does want the
call to go through).

While microphone/file-source access needs to be use-approved, we could
allow an application to create a 'null' audio (or video) mediatrack
without permission (silence for audio, black (or black with "no video"
or "camera off" or a camera with a red circle-slash)).  That could then
be used in place of a GetUserMedia() stream.

We may have uses for this elsewhere, perhaps for muting (you don't want
to wait for signaling on mute, and just stopping sending is a problem in
some cases, especially if the signaling channel is slow/broken) or to
open channels immediately while waiting for the user to respond about
media access.  However, these may be spurious uses if the media tracks
support a Mute operation.

Perhaps more to the point, being able to switch the source for a channel
from the mic to self-generated data (silence, "the doctor will be with
you shortly", black, a test pattern, camera-with-slash, etc) is more the
point of what we need, and for this we'd just need to be able to build a
stream using a source like that instead of switching the source of an
existing stream/track.

--
Randell Jesup
randell-ietf@jesup.org