Re: Of interest to this WG: Media Source API

On 11/21/2011 03:44 AM, Michael[tm] Smith wrote:
> Harald Alvestrand<harald@alvestrand.no>, 2011-11-16 08:09 +0800:
>
>> FYI - another proposal being proposed somewhere for how to get video data
>> into a video element, chunk by chunk. Might be relevant to our (future)
>> resumption of work on recording.
>>
>> http://updates.html5rocks.com/2011/11/Stream-video-using-the-MediaSource-API
> I see that the actual draft spec is at:
>
>    http://html5-mediasource-api.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/draft-spec/mediasource-draft-spec.html
>
> Is that meant for some of the same use cases as the MediaStream Processing API draft?
>
>    http://www.w3.org/2011/audio/drafts/1WD/MediaStream/
The specific use case is apparently streaming video; from some exchange
of emails I suspect that it was born from a frustration with the amount
of code that's locked into the browser when trying to do adaptive
streaming (variable bitrate video) with DASH.

The MediaStream API focuses on access to and processing of individual
tracks in JS; that doesn't seem to be a concept in the MediaSource API.

What they have  in common is that the responsibility for feeding the
pipe with data is in JS, not in the browser - but the data has different
formats.

But that's just my remote impression - getting info from the authors may
be better.

              Harald