Re: Callback on track added? (Re: Semantics question for onaddstream() callback)

On 11/16/2011 01:10 AM, Justin Uberti wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 10:23 AM, Stefan Håkansson LK
> <stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com
> <mailto:stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 11/14/2011 12:50 AM, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
>
>         (top-posting, apologies - but we're now perhaps discussing
>         overarching
>         architecture....)
>
>         It seems to me that onaddstream() is logically a MediaStream
>         level event
>         while onmediastarted() is logically a MediaStreamTrack level event.
>
>         Perhaps the correct interface is to define an onmediastarted()
>         event on
>         the MediaStream, and have that be triggered when the underlying
>         implementation has been convinced that enough media has arrived
>         to do
>         something with? (Yes, leaving wiggle room to do both first-frame
>         and to
>         do first-packet).
>

>     Somehow it is not totally clear to me yet what the basic problem of
>     the current "onaddstream" is. The usual behavior would presumably be
>     to attach a MediaStream it to an audio or a video element for
>     playout, and having it fire once there is data coming in at least
>     one track seems appropriate to me. If it is when there is one frame
>     or one RTP packet received is another story.
>

> Just because no data is arriving doesn't mean the stream doesn't exist
> (consider silence suppression). I think the app will want to be able to
> hook up the MediaStream to a playout element as soon as it exists.
In the current (or perhaps the previous :-)) version of the api
document, there is no MediaStream that the app can get access to before
at least one RTP packet has been received. What is the value in  having
access to the MediaStream (and be able to hook it up) before then?

Regarding silence supression, for the implementations (and codecs) i
know of comfort noise data is sent regularly, so that should not be a
problem.