Re: Mozilla/Cisco API Proposal: DTMF

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011, Cullen Jennings wrote:

> Completely agree. The RTCWeb WG at IETF is trying to make a set of
> recommendation for what the over the wire protocol choices should be. I
> and others have been arguing that 4733 is the one that should be used
> for this work. There has not been much disagreement about this so if I
> had to guess, I would say it is very likely that will end up being the
> IETF recommendation to the W3C.

So should a PeerConnection object establish a separate audio channel when
created specifically for sending RFC 4733 DTMF event codes to legacy phone
networks, with a corresponding API? Or can event codes be sent over the
same audio channel as any other audio stream? I didn't follow the RFC
enough to answer that question.

Also, how long and how loud should the events be? Should all event codes
be supported, or only 0-9, *, and #, or those as well as A-D?