Re: Signaling & peerconnection API questions

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011, Prakash wrote:

> 1. An initiator call it L starts an session-initiate, through an
> existing xmpp connection (signaling channel) to do a voice call to
> responder, call it R.
>
> 2. As part of the initiate it tells the responder R, the codecs,
> clockrates etc it supports.
>
> 3. The initiator also, gets its local IP + port, and optionally a STUN
> IP + port and a TURN IP + port and sends it to R.
>
> 4. R responds with the codecs it supports and its candidate addresses.
> It sends 2 candidates say.
>
> 5. The initiator chooses, which codecs is the best match, and also finds
> the best candidate pair among the L and R candidates by checking the RTT
> for each pair combination.
>

> The key to note above is, both the codecs and the candidate information
> is exchanged in the signaling code in jingle. The initiator finally gets
> to decide which is the best codec and candiate pair and chooses it.
>

> Coming to the webrtc API. Of these steps, I was wondering, which part is
> taken care by the browser code, and which part is supposed to be the
> signaling / application code which developer write?

Parts 2, 3, 4, and 5 are all does by the ICE agent in the browser, except
that the messages are exchanged via the page script.

Part 1 is done by the page script, probably on the same signalling channel.

> For example,
>
> a. Can the js code, query the codecs, clockrates to send it over the
> signaling channel?

It doesn't need to. The browser tells the script what to send.

> b. Is each candidate i described above (local, stun and turn), created
> using three PeerConnection calls? Are these sent to R over the signaling
> channel?

No, the PeerConnection object encapsulates all this behaviour.

> c. How do i get the remote candidates? Through my signaling channel? How
> do i pass it down to the browser?

You call p.processSignallingMessage() when you receive the message on your
signalling channel.

> d. Who decides, which is the best candidate pair / codec? Browser or
> application code?

Browser.