Re: Mozilla/Cisco API Proposal

On 2011-07-15 00:19, cbran wrote:

> On 7/14/11 2:57 PM, "Ralph Giles"<giles@thaumas.net>  wrote:
>
>> On 14 July 2011 14:50, Ian Hickson<ian@hixie.ch>  wrote:
>>
>>> In the initial versions of this API, I would recommend that this use case
>>> be addressed by the user agents themselves: when the user OKs the use of
>>> the camera, there could be a preferences panel that enables the user to
>>> specify whether they want the stream optimised for music fidelity or low
>>> bandwidth, or whatnot.
>>
>> Sounds reasonable.
>>
>>> I don't mind dropping [front/back camera selection], but it's worth bearing
>>> in mind that this may be the one feature of WebRTC that's received the most
>>> requests so far. :-)
>>
>> Heh. Do we have a use case for that? Seems very much in the same vein.
> I am not sure if this is a "use case" in the theoretical sense but... when I
> travel for work, I use FaceTime on my iPad to call back home.  I use the
> camera switching capabilities when calling my family and friends to share
> with them not only my face, but the location of where I am at while talking
> with with them.  Given that WebRTC capable browsers will very likely be run
> within mobile devices with multi-cameras, it seems that offering the
> capability would be highly desirable for end users and developers alike.
In
<http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtcweb-use-cases-and-requirements/>
there is a use case that uses two cameras: Hockey game viewer. There one
camera is used to show the game, the other a view of a person attending
the match (and participating in an on-line discussion about the game).

I guess that if the web app gets access to both cameras switching views
would be simple to implement. You could be lazy and transmit both videos
all the time but select which one is displayed in the video element, or
you could enable/disable tracks or add/remove streams at the sending
side if you like to save transmission.