Re: Mozilla/Cisco API Proposal

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011, Ralph Giles wrote:

> Now that you mention it, the IETF rtcweb use cases and requirements
> mention voice communication, but not music. A use case would be a link
> between two locations participating in an event with a ambient music. Or
> a teacher giving music lessons through a website.

In the initial versions of this API, I would recommend that this use case
be addressed by the user agents themselves: when the user OKs the use of
the camera, there could be a preferences panel that enables the user to
specify whether they want the stream optimised for music fidelity or low
bandwidth, or whatnot. No need for every video-conferencing site to
implement a separate UI for musicians. Indeed if we require sites to do it
it's easy to predict that most will not.

> I'm now going to argue the other direction, which is that we don't need
> to expose the camera choice in the web api. Most devices will have only
> a handful of input options, and privacy requirements mean we have to ask
> the user for approval before granting access, and the platform may have
> additional sensors and preferences which affect choices. For the current
> spec, I think it's better to leave it up to the user agents to provide
> ui for this.

I don't mind dropping it, but it's worth bearing in mind that this may be
the one feature of WebRTC that's received the most requests so far. :-)