From: Tommy Widenflycht (ᛏᚮᛘᛘᚤ) [mailto:tommyw@google.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2011 4:36 AM
To: public-webrtc@w3.org; public-media-capture@w3.org
Subject: MediaStreamRecorder ideas

In my not-so-humble opinion the MediaStreamRecorder isn’t usable right now, and the API needs to be changed. I suggest the following changes as a minimum delta:

  1.  MediaStreamRecorder should have a stop() method. Calling this will stop the recorder but not throw away the data, the data will live until the recorder is garbage collected. If the associated MediaStream stops/ends the recorder should do so as well. Also the UA should be allowed to have a maximum file size/time length and be allowed to throw away the oldest data circular buffer style.
  2.  MediaStream::record should take a optional MIME type (which may have parameters). If no MIME type is given the UA can pick whatever is most suitable, but if a MIME type is given it must be used. If the UA doesn’t support the type or recording in general it should return a null pointer.
  3.  MediaStreamRecorder::getRecordedData should return a File (instead of a Blob) and stop recording. MediaStreamRecorder will optionally support a peek() method that will return a Blob of the data recorded this far. This will make life easier for weaker UAs.
Thoughs?

/Tommy

--
Tommy Widenflycht, Senior Software Engineer
Google Sweden AB, Kungsbron 2, SE-11122 Stockholm, Sweden