Re: User media selection

On 12/1/2011 10:00 AM, Stefan Håkansson LK wrote:
> On 11/30/2011 08:34 PM, Randell Jesup wrote:

options deleted

> That are some options, and there is a need for experimentation to
> understand what works and what doesn't.
>
> The easy way out for the stds WG would be to say "leave it to the
> vendors", that way you could finalize a Rec that says "Prompt the user
> in a user-agent-specific manner for permission" (plus similar language
> for informing the user of what is ongoing, and giving the user
> possibility to revoke/change consent) and leave the rest to the
> implementors.
>
> However, there is a need for a similar behavior between implementations
> so that users easily understand when switching devices/browsers. But it
> is not clear to me how far the Rec. need to go and how much that can be
> left to implementations.

My concern with that is that the application writers need to know if
they're losing space to an indicator, and if so where, unless it's
simply hidden from them (such as in the "take one edge of the screen"
solutions, where they just see a smaller layout space).

Alternatively, you let them know where it is so they can adapt.  This
may have issues with testing by app developers.

--
Randell Jesup
randell-ietf@jesup.org