Re: Where to attach a DTMF API

On 11/30/2011 08:45 AM, Stefan HÃ¥kansson wrote:
> On 11/30/2011 05:25 AM, Justin Uberti wrote:
>
>>     Unlike Stefan, I think the API makes most sense if it's an API on a
>>     MediaStreamTrack object. If it is an API on a PeerConnection, it
>>     would have to be something like PeerConnection.DTMF(StreamID,
>>     TrackID, "12345"), which seems somewhat bizarre. It could easily be
>>     defined to generate failure if the other end of the MediaStreamTrack
>>     is not a playout into a PeerConnection.
> I had a simpler, but error prone, proposal which meant you would not
> have to supply Stream aor TrackID.
>>

>> This matches my viewpoint. We've created a nice object-oriented API, so
>> I'd like to maintain that design as much as possible, even if means a
>> bit more implementation work.
> It seems that most people want to go this way (i.e. attach sendDTMF to
> a MediaStreamTrack), so this is probably what we should do.
>
> A follow up question: if that track is recorded or played out locally
> or remotely, should there be any traces/signs of the DTMF inserted?
> You could imagine that the actual tones are played/recorded, but you
> could equally well imagine that there are no signs of the DTMF stuff
> when recording/playing out.
My feeling is that this relates to the question of "what do we record
when we record".
If we're recording the RTP packet stream, the DTMF should be there; if
we record a WAV file, it has to be converted somehow; the converter may
well be aware of DTMF and record them as sound.

>> Followup question: should we define a specific AudioMediaStreamTrack
>> that inherits from MediaStreamTrack, and only expose this DTMF API on
>> AudioMediaStreamTracks?
> Without thinking very much about it, defining separate
> AudioMediaStreamTrack and VideoMediaStreamTrack makes sense to me.
>> Or should we expose it from all tracks, and have
>> it throw an exception on tracks that don't support DTMF? And how should
>> apps know if DTMF is supported?
>>
>> My suggestion would be to introduce AudioMediaStreamTrack, and have the
>> DTMF API fail if the other side doesn't support telephone-event. Support
>> for telephone-event can be determined from parsing the incoming SDP
>> (with ROAP), or the PeerConnection.remoteDescription method (with JSEP).
> Sounds reasonable to me.
Javascript's standard mechanism for extensibility seems to be "if in
doubt, call it and catch the failure". Defining an AudioMediaStreamTrack
(or AudioMediaStreamTrackThatSupportsDTMF) seems like a logical way to
describe this interface in IDL; what the implementations should do seems
less clear to me.