Re: [rtcweb] Proposed text for local recording use case

On Aug 22, 2011, at 8:42 AM, Elwell, John wrote:

> 4.2.xx Local Session Recording
> In this use case, the web application user wishes to record a real-time communication locally, such that transmitted and received audio, video or other real-time media are stored in one or more files. For a given medium, the two directions of transmission can be stored in the same file (mixed) or in separate files. The web application also stores metadata that gives context to the stored media.
>
> New requirements:
> Fxx1: The browser MUST be able to store transmitted and received media in local files.
>
> Axx1: The web application MUST be able to ask the browser to store transmitted and received media in local files, and in the case of audio at least, ask for the two directions of transmission to be stored mixed or separately.
>
> John

I think I want something just slightly different and that is to send media that is data in the JS and to be able to hand media as data to the JS. If the JS happens to read / write that to a file that is fine with me but this allows the JS to operate on the data or synthetically generate media and opens the doors to the possibility of writing a codec in JS or NACL.